How to be a good nanny or caregiver for a Canadian family
- Be flexible with your employer. Being a nanny is not like working in a factory or an office, it is not always possible to start and finish exactly on time. Be willing to give your employer a little bit of leeway and they will provide you the same courtesy.
- Let your agency know if you are experiencing any difficulties with your employer, this is what they are there for. Chances are they will have heard of similar stories from other nannies and can provide great insight in how you can approach and fix the problem.
- Be pro-active. It is your responsibility to ensure your work visa is renewed on time, that your employer provides you with a payslip every time you are paid etc.
- Seek sensible advice from reliable sources. Canada Immigration, HRSDC, and all information regarding being a foreign worker in Canada can be found online. There are also many telephone lines dedicated to different departments who will be able to answer all questions and queries you may have.
- Get into the habit of writing things down, especially when beginning a new job. It is always better to have instructions written down to refer back to at a later time.
- Improve your skill set. Take the opportunity to learn new skills or strengthen and improve on the ones you already have. Canada has some great colleges and institutions where you can take courses and classes.
- Take job advice from your friends. Being a good friend does not mean they will necessarily give good advice. If you are unsure about anything check with your agency who have experience in the matter.
- Lie to your employer. If you make a mistake, admit to it and apologize.
- Use your cell phone during working hours. You would not do this in another work setting such as an office so being a nanny should be no different. The same rule applies to watching TV or spending time on the computer; do it when you are not working.
- Be shy about asking questions. It is much better to ask than to keep quiet and make repeated mistakes. Canadian employers will see this as a good sign of your wanting to perform your job correctly.
If you would like to be hired as a nanny or caregiver in Canada please fill out this online application.