The arrival of your Au Pair or Nanny is a very exciting time for every family! You’re welcoming a new member into your home and introducing them to your lives. Amidst getting to know each other and helping them settle in, you will also be explaining about your children, their routines, and the ins and outs of your daily schedules. To make this easier, we’ve compiled a checklist of important topics for parents to go over with their childcare providers:
Parenting Styles and Disciplining
- Do you use positive reinforcement?
- Do you take away privileges when your children aren’t listening?
- Not just for your kids but also for the adults in the home
- Do your children have a lights out curfew or sleep with a nightlight?
- Do your kids have a special stuffed animal or blanket?
- Are they allowed to stay up and read or have a snack before bed?
Using the Car
- Is there a schedule, should they ask first?
- Who pays for gas?
Inviting Guests Over
- When is a good time?
- Is it okay if you’re not home?
- Emergency contact numbers
- Home address and landline number
Communication and Expectations
- When will we get together to talk again?
- What do you expect from your time in Canada and as an Au Pair/Nanny?
- What are your expectations as a parent?